Senior China Coordinator for New Deal for Nature and People
Position title: Senior China Coordinator for New Deal for Nature and People
- 12 months fixed term contract.
Reports to: Chief Program Officer of WWF China
Dotted line reports to: Director of Global Policy and Advocacy of WWF International
Supervises: Senior Government Relationship Manager
Despite decades of effort, global trends on the loss of nature remain deeply alarming.Urgent action is needed to reverse biodiversity loss in the next decade and restore natural ecosystems that underpin humanity’s sustainable development.
To movethis topic up the global agenda in 2020, WWF is launching an ambitious,integrated network initiative steered by top leadership, and supported by alloffices and functions across the Network. To achieve this global goal, WWFstrives to 1) radically escalate the political relevance of nature; 2) galvanizea cohesive movement across states and non-state actors to drive change; 3) secure ambitious commitments and strong accountability mechanisms through relevant multi-lateral and non-state mechanisms to deliver change.
To help secure the above, WWF’s New Deal for Nature & People 2020 will strive tomobilize key stakeholders to encourage global decision makers to play aleadership role. One of key players is China government, for its critical roletowards and beyond 2020 Nature Summit during the UNGA in New York City and CBDCOP15 in Kunming, China.
A Senior China Coordinator for New Deal for Nature and People is needed to work with senior WWF staff in China, at International and in other keycountries, and through critical channels, such as China Council for International Cooperation on Environment and Development (CCICED), to ensure that we engaging with and influence Heads of State and their immediate staff inChina and with key countries in support of a strong 2020 outcome.
· Researches, verifies and coordinates wide ranging and relevant content related to the New Deal for Nature & People2020, and provides the necessary support for WWF China CPO and CEO, the Directorof Global Policy and Advocacy, and Director General of WWF International.Support to other key WWF experts and leaders as required;
· Coordinates WWF’s engagement and influence ofChina’s key players at the highest level, including in and beyond Minister ofEcology and Environment, to reach out to other key ministries, as well as keyrelevant non-state players;
· Focuses on delivering of the New Deal for Natureand People, through related issues such as greening BRI, post 2020 CBDengagement, and based on WWF China’s work in China and globally, as well asWWF’s global work;
· Provides substance support to DG for his rolewithin CCICED as International Council Member, Task Force Leader, and otherduties
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
· Be the WWF China’s lead coordinator of the NewDeal for Nature and People to ensure the success implementation of the ND4NP inChina and support the WWF’s overall ND4NP implementation, building on thelinkages of WWF China’s work in China and globally, such as but not limited toGreening of BRI, National Parks, CBD, China Council, etc.;
· Opens, builds and maintains the relations withkey players in China at the highest level, and also non-state players asrelevant and necessary, to engage and influence at as the highest level andwidest scope as possible and practical;
· Advocates WWF’s proposals of the CBD Post 2020Targets and Framework to relevant competent agencies in China;
· Participates related workstream and task forcemeetings and GPAT team meetings to stay on top of the most recent developmentand take more relevant follow up actions,
· Provides full support for meetings, conferencesor specific subject events and coordinates and thoroughly prepares all relevantdocuments and briefing packs for WWF China’s contributions to the key Nature2020 stakeholders;
· Provides substance support to DG for his rolewithin CCICED as International Council Member, Task Force Leader, Co-Chair ofGreen BRI Coalition, and other duties
· Builds and maintain key relationships amongpolicy and government relations staff across the WWF network
· Provides coordination support for WWF China’sengagement and delivery to the workstreams and task forces related to PowerfulAdvocacy, Nature 2020 High Level Political Engagement, and other workstreamsand task forces as necessary;
· In coordination with the DGO Office, GPAT, WWFChina, and relevant WWF experts, drafts and edits selected correspondence,reports and documents for WWF Director General and relevant WWF experts relatingto Nature 2020 in the engagement and influencing of China key actors;
· Performs research/fact checking, to help draftspeeches, blogs and opinion pieces for external audiences;
· Helps create high quality, multimediapresentations for use in key external fora;
· Engages with other CSO players in China forpromoting ND4NP;
· Undertakes other tasks as assigned relevant tothe Nature 2020 agenda.
RequiredSkills and Competencies:
· Passionate about WWF mission;
· Excellent and broad understanding ofenvironmental and development issues;
· Strategic analytical skills and good politicalacumen
· Good understanding of the environmental andsustainability constellation of players and mechanisms
· Ability to research information and synthesizeit;
· Solutions and results driven and able to workindependently.
· Strong vocational experience in aninternational/multi-lateral organization, and experience in facilitatingengagement with senior government officials
· A global perspective, with a geo-politicalunderstanding of the world, and with specific knowledge and skills to influencein China
· Strong oral and written communication in Englishand Chinese. Ability to write in an engaging and eloquent manner with additionallanguage is an asset;
· Attentive to detail and follow-up, withexcellent organisation and prioritisation skills;
· Excellent communication, diplomatic andinterpersonal skills and capacity to take initiative and work as part of amulticultural team;
· Excellent computer skills with expertise in MSOffice as well as a working knowledge of collaborative platforms (Google Drive,Zoom, Workplace);
· DemonstratesWWF behaviours in way of working: Strivefor Impact, Listen Deeply, Collaborate Openly, Innovate Fearlessly;
· Adheres to WWF’s values, which are: Knowledgeable, Optimistic, Determined andEngaging.
Internal –Interacts regularly with WWF China related teams, the GPAT, the Nature 2020Coordinator, the DGO office, WWF staff and offices in the Network as requiredin fulfilment of duties.
External –Interacts with relevant external partners mostly in China (governments, iNGOs, NGOs,corporates, research institutes etc) as required in fulfilment of duties.
This job description covers the main tasks and conveys the spirit of the sort oftasks that are anticipated proactively from staff. Other tasks may be assignedas necessary according to organizational needs.
• Candidates should send a cover letteraddressing the selection criteria together with a CV in English and Chinese asemail attachments to HR@wwfchina.org.
• Please indicate the position you areapplying for in the subject line of your email and please indicate your salaryexpectation within the cover letter.